BUT I am happy to report that me not blogging did not mean that I was spending all of my time sitting on the couch and eating fast food. (Ok....so I was doing that some of the time, but not lately!) I am in the middle of my seventh week straight of eating low carb/low calorie/whole foods and working out 5-6 days a week. To be consistent for seven weeks straight is a BIG deal for me because it has been over a year since I could say that. And not only have I been consistent, but I feel like I am on a really good exercise routine. I have been running 5 days a week, doing Body Pump (a pretty intense weight lifting class) twice a week, Zumba once a week, and Yoga once a week (although life has gotten in the way of my yoga class for the last three weeks. Boo!). I feel like for the first time ever, I have a very well-rounded routine. Usually my weight lifting is severely lacking because I've never really known what to do or how to do it and so I usually end up lifting some light dumbbells for about 15 minutes a couple days a week. Now I am doing a full hour of fairly hard core lifting twice a week! And I can DEFINITELY see the results.
I have been trying to weigh myself weekly, but it doesn't always happen. And until today, the last two times I weighed myself I had gone UP. That made no sense to me because I can clearly see in the mirror and in the way my clothes fit that I am losing. And I know what the weight the scale says looks like on me, and I am definitely NOT that weight. So while there is always a part of me that feels the need to weigh myself, I have not been giving it much "weight" (pun intended. ha) because I just know it can't be accurate. Now, I always weigh my dumbbells before I weigh myself to make sure the scale isn't off. So I can't explain why I am getting weird numbers.... I'd love to think it's because I've gained pounds of muscle, but I'm pretty sure it takes WAY longer than that to gain a significant amount of muscle (significant, meaning, it would show up on the scale). And I definitely didn't gain like 2 pounds of muscle in a week! So whatever. The scale can just sit in the bathroom while I start fitting into all of my skinny clothes. :)
Speaking of....I dared to try on my "skinny" jeans that I bought in LA two and a half years ago. Now in case you don't remember, when I was in LA I got down to my skinniest weight ever. So ever since then, my goal has been to get back to my LA weight. Well, according to my scale, I'm quite a ways off from that. BUT according to my "skinny" LA jeans, I am very close!! They fit!! They are a tiny bit tighter at the waistline than I would like, but totally wearable! Just probably wouldn't wear them with a really tight fitting shirt. But...give me a few more weeks! :)
Ok, lastly...I took some photos this morning because I was feeling pretty good about myself. So I figured I'd use this blog as a way to document. First, a comparison:
| LA - December, 2010 |
![]() |
| Austin - March 29, 2013! |
| LA - December, 2010 |
![]() |
| Austin - March 29, 2013! |


Holy crap!! Look at the V definition on your abs, that's AWESOME! It is REALLY hard for women to get that.
ReplyDeleteYour weight "gain" on the scale is probably water weight - weight lifting especially causes LOTS of water retention in the muscles for repair. The best day to weigh-in is usually after a full 24-48 hours of "rest" (Yoga or going for a walk would count as "resting", but not so much like a 4 mile run). This gives your body/muscles time to "drop the water".
It IS possible that you've gained muscle, especially if you've been lifting for 7 weeks. About a pound of muscle/month is a pretty accurate average for women who lift regularly. You could take some measurements and track your progress that way, but that's basically what your doing by using your old jeans as a test anyway. :)
I'm so glad you're back into a steady routine and feeling good and are not scale obsessing (wish I could say the same lol) - you look AWESOME!
Thanks, Jess!! I usually weigh the day after my skip day at the gym, so I have tried to account for water retention.
ReplyDeleteI just can't believe it's all muscle. One week I apparently gained 2 pounds. There's just no way that's muscle. But at the end of the day, who cares if I like how I look in the mirror! :)
I need to start taking measurements. I always forget about that! And you seem to be great at staying positive even when the scale isn't moving! And you are looking great in your progress photos as well!