Tuesday, September 14, 2010

And so it begins...

Ok, I’m going to follow the trend. I have two cousins who have been blogging recently about getting in shape. They have definitely inspired me, and I think maybe blogging about my experiences every day might help me stay on track and keep me accountable. Even if no one ends up reading this.
I’ve pretty much been on and off a diet and/or exercise routine for about five years now. It’s crazy to think it has been that long. And especially since only once have I really followed through to the point of seeing any major results. And even then, I ended up screwing it up! So this time is going to be different. I am making that promise here and now.

I just moved across the country away from almost everyone I know. Since I have very little money, very few friends, and pretty much no social life; I figure now might be a good time to start seriously getting in shape - since all of those social things can be a major hindrance to any diet. But it’s also hard because I am definitely an emotional eater. And this is definitely an emotional time for me…so my normal instinct is to turn to food. Hopefully I can redirect that instinct and turn to something positive and healthy instead.
I just started working at an Italian restaurant that is opening in LA. The company has several restaurants in Italy (where it stared) and other places in Europe. This is the first major restaurant in the US, although there is a kiosk in New York somewhere. We’ve had a bunch of the managers and higher ups from Italy here to help with the opening and help train everyone. It has been very interesting to meet them and learn about the Italian perspective on food, hospitality, and life in general. It makes me want to be Italian, or at least go visit Italy! It’s definitely an interesting culture. So that is the reason for the name of my blog - which means motivation in Italian.

Anyway - I’ll cut to the chase. My diet/exercise routine/lifestyle change begins tomorrow. I have signed up for a bootcamp class at a gym down the street. It’s three mornings a week for three weeks. Not very long, but at least it will kind of get me in gear. And from there, I may sign up for more classes. I have been eating horribly lately due to lack of time, since I’ve been working nonstop. So I think I am ready to start eating healthy foods that make me feel good rather than foods that drag me down. I’m also just ready to feel good about myself and do something positive. Things have been really tough over the last month and a half, and I have a lot of things to think about these days. But I think it will be good to channel all of that energy into this. I need somewhere to shift my focus.

I want this to be a life change - not just a temporary fix to lose weight. But since I think it’s best to use short-term goals, my goal is to lose 20 pounds by Christmas. I have a little over three months, so I think I can do it. Over the last five years I’ve constantly started new diets and told myself I was going to do it this time. But I’m sick and tired of not following through. I need to prove to myself that I can actually do this. And so it begins….

No comments:

Post a Comment