Ugh, it wasn't a great day....
All of my roommate's went to our friend's house for a Super Bowl party. While I couldn't care less about watching the Super Bowl, the party would have been fun. Especially since it was at the house of one of my best friend's from college, who I've only seen once since I moved here since she lives about an hour away. But instead of going to the party, I had to work. Which was made even worse by the fact that we were completely dead and I went home with about $40. Boo.
To make the day worse, I ate horribly. I started out really good. Had my vegetable juice this morning, and had my normal lunch. Then I had some gummy bears that I bought earlier in the week (for some reason I have been craving them so much lately!) after lunch. I wasn't feeling too guilty about it, just trying to splurge a little without freaking out. But then I went to work. Since we were so dead, there wasn't much to do. I was bored, which made it much harder than usual to resist the "family meal." So I ate a little pasta. On the way home I was feeling guilty, but I convinced myself it wasn't that big of a deal. It didn't mean my whole day was ruined. So I came home and grilled some vegetables and made a salad for dinner. Unfortunately, after that I was still hungry and ended up having some chips and dip and some mozzarella sticks. Ugh! I suck.
I've always been an emotional eater, but I usually use food to make myself feel better. For comfort. This time I kind of feel like I'm using it as more of a distraction from my feelings. I've just felt really disconnected from everything lately...I don't know how I feel. And I think maybe I've been using food as something to hide behind almost. Like, I can focus on feeling guilty about eating badly or mad at myself for screwing up my diet, rather than feeling the things I really should be feeling with everything going on lately. I don't know...maybe that's just me reading way too far into it all. I just feel very disconnected. I can't remember the last time I cried....and I feel like I need to. But at the same time, I feel like I'm a million miles away from everything. Kind of hard to explain...but at the end of the day, I need to keep reminding myself that food will do nothing to solve my problems. And in fact, it will make them worse.
What's even stupider is that today was the first day since before I was sick that I looked and felt thinner again. Like more like I did before and after Christmas. And then what do I do? Go screw it up. Argh! It's ok though. It's one day. One MORE day, I guess, since the past week has been up and down. But regardless, by the end of the week, I'm sure it will have very little effect on how I look or even what I weigh. I just need to figure out how to break this cycle and really get back on track again. I am not giving up.
Good night.
I actually DON'T think you're reading too much into things there. You might be on to something. I've been in a similar place before, and I really think that sounds like a good possibility. I think you'll naturally break out of it at some point anyway, but it's good that you recognize what might be the cause, so maybe you can work through it.
ReplyDeleteJust don't be afraid of your actual feelings. You can only hide from yourself for so long before it really has some adverse effects. Try and sort out all these thoughts and figure out the true source of your unhappiness so you can really take care of the problem at the root.
My Super Bowl plans fell through and it ended up being a pretty rough day, so I kinda feel you on the crappy-super-bowl-sunday thing, while everyone else was having a normal day. Sucks that you had to miss out on your friend's party. Maybe you two can plan to get together for drinks or brunch or something soon to make up for it!
Hope you have a good week and find a little clarity!
Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate the feedback.
ReplyDeleteSorry you had a rough day as well. If you need to talk, I'm off work today and tomorrow, so feel free to call!
I feel ya, Em. I think the key is in the blogging. If you keep up the daily blogging, you'll have to break out eventually.
ReplyDeleteFor me, there's just something extremely humiliating about writing depressing blogs day after day, and I'm bound to get back on the right path...if only to avoid having to report negative information.
Know that I believe in you!
I totally agree! I feel like a complete idiot writing about how I couldn't resist eating some potato chips. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteLol about the potato chips.
ReplyDeleteI wish I would get notifications when people comment on a post I've commented on...I just saw all this stuff. ;)
I agree! I just saw your comment. lol.
ReplyDelete